Friday 5 November 2010

DJ MEHDI (Ed Banger) Interview

In advance of tonight's show at dollop we have managed to grab a few words with Parisian DJ superstar - DJ MEHDI.

After working as a hip-hop producer with the likes of MC Solaar, Asian Dub Foundation and Futura 3000, DJ Mehdi joined forces with Pedro 'Busy P' Winter in 1997, hosting a very successful monthly hip-hop / electro club night at former Paris nightspot Pulp.



This friendship resulted in Busy P signing Mehdi up to his Ed Banger label, culmating in the release of the 'Lucky Boy' LP in 2006. The album featured the classic tracks 'Signatune' (which was re-edited by Daft Punk's Thomas Bangalter) and 'I Am Somebody' (featuring Chromeo).

More recently, Dj Mehdi has been part of a group of friends and DJ's collectively known as Club 75 which includes Cassius, Busy P and Xavier de Ronsay (Justice).

Where are you now?
In my house, in my bed.
What is your favourite city?
Paris, then NYC, then London.

What was the first record you bought?
Public Enemy - 'It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back'

When/ where/ how did you start dj’ing & producing?
In my bedroom, when I was 11 years old. How, it's a quite long story but my father, my uncles, my cousins, and a few street hustlers from my neighbourhood all had their importance.

How many records are in your collection?
5000 vinyls and maybe 15000 mp3's.

What is your favourite album ever?
Public Enemy - 'It Take A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back'

Who is your role model?
Jerry Seinfeld.

What is your preferred production and dj set up?
It's just me and my guitar.

What do you never leave the house without?
My pants.

What do you get up to when you are not busy with music?
Jumping up and down on the bed with my son.

What tracks are you currently working on?
'Let The Children Techno' compilation with Busy P.

What has been your personal musical highlight of 2010 so far?
The first time I heard 'Over' by Drake, in February.

What upcoming acts do you think could breakthrough in 2011?
Gesafelstein.




DJ Mehdi performs at dollop tonight as Carte Blanche (alongside his partner in crime Riton).

Tickets are available here.